Wednesday, December 2, 2009

English 111 Course Reflection


To see picture click here


Deciding to go back to school at the age of 29 was not difficult to decide. I always felt I was good at reading and writing, but for some reason when I went to take the placement test, my English score was not as high as I thought it would be. Although I’ve been out of school for a while, I still didn’t think I wouldn’t pass the test. So needless to say, I was a little discouraged when I first started English 111 because I had doubts about what my skill level was going to be. Not only did I have to take a developmental class before starting this one, but I also had to make myself believe that I could complete the course successfully. Now when first meeting my teacher Mr. Gasparo, I thought to myself “He is going to make this class very interesting.”

Our first assignment was to write a Diagnostic essay to let Mr. Gasparo see where our skill levels were at. I didn’t think this essay was a problem because it was easy and I love writing narration essays. I was a little excited to turn it in because I wanted to know what he thought. We never did get any feedback on them, so once again I was left in doubt about my skills. Most of the assignments we had were very useful to me, but one in particular that I couldn’t stand was watching “Wings for Wheels” by Bruce Springsteen. The video and all the lyrics we had to read and listen to just were very annoying. I still to this day don’t understand the point of what we were to learn from him. I hope to god I never have to listen to any of his music again. Personally, his voice is annoying and I don’t think he can sing. Now that I think about it, when we read the lyrics to “Born in the U.S.A”, I learned that the song was not about being proud to be in the U.S. It had something to do with an unemployed Vietnam veteran. Although the verse is very memorable, I bet half the people in today’s society don’t know the meaning of the song.

My favorite assignment was when we viewed the documentary “Sicko” by Michael Moore. I learned so much about how corrupt the insurance companies can be. I even went home telling my husband about it and he watched a lot of the information on YouTube. I hate to think of what might happen to me or a family member if we got seriously ill, and the insurance company denied coverage. I am crossing my fingers that we never have to find out.

This has been a long 16 weeks that I thought would never get here. I feel very fortunate to have been in Mr. Gasparo’s class because in his own little crazy way, he has left a lasting impression on me through his teaching. The only thing I would want to do more of is write more types of essays. The only graded essay I remember us getting back was the rhetorical essay and I liked the fact that he went over it checking for this and that. The other assignments were just pass/fail and I don’t think that is teaching us what we have done wrong with the paper. I could be the only one who feels this way, but I figure the more I write the better I will become. Now this argument essay we have turned in last week is going to be the killer. I have never written an argument paper before, and I hope I did it correctly because I was trying my best not to make it sound like a research paper. I am very proud of myself for putting forth all efforts to come to each and every class session. I learned I could be dedicated to something if I put my mind to it. Luckily the degree program I am in doesn’t require me to take English 112, but if I had to, I would definitely choose Mr. Gasparo as my teacher, but only if Bruce Springsteen was not anywhere in his lesson plans. Thanks for all of the writing wisdom Mr. Gasparo.

2 comments:

  1. You should be proud for being successful and making it to the end of this course and any others.

    Do remember most of the pass/fail assignments allowed me to show students grammar and punctuation issues, so if you had no marks, it means you were good. Some folks had pencil markings all over theirs.

    Hopefully 112 will offer you more challenges and styles of essays.

    What do you recommend for types of essays you'd have liked to write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO i AGREE THAT BRUCE SPRINGSTEIN CANT SING AN THAT VIDEO WAS ABSOLUTELY BORING! YOU DEFINITELY DROPPED THE BALL WITH THAT ONE PAUL!

    ReplyDelete